Monday, June 24, 2013

vigil with I-Man

“I am back.” I chime in a singsong voice as I approach his resting place. “I told you I would not be away too long. Are you mad”?

-no answer-

“I wrote you a poem…would you like me to read it to you?”

-no answer-

“ok…give me a minute.”

Shuffling through my messenger bag, I find it. A small yellow fold of notebook paper with coffee stains greets my eager fingertips. Pulling it out slowly; I looked around the cemetary. I unfold the paper and sit down upon the grass. I could sense the still air listening.

“Ok…here goes…

Oh lonely lonely teardrop,
 poised upon my cheek;
 will you fall and
 will you be complete?
 My love underneath,
 will you come to me?
 I-man, he cometh,
when the day is done.
 After the death of the sun.

 Come to me–
I will not cringe,
 I will not run

. Lonely teardrop…fall.”

Feeling content, I return the the rhyme to the black bag. “So how do you like it?”

-no answer-

I blush by the compliments he pays me. Darren is always such a romantic gentleman. “Your so sweet; you know just what to say to me.” I continue to chuckle as I adjust the faded flowers in their vase. Weeds had begun to sprout and I pluck them up. Throwing them onto his neighbor; I lay down beside him.

 “Darren–she wouldnt listen to me. And I think I may have scared her a bit. She won’t speak to me about you anymore and I dont understand. Do you think I was too forward?”

-no answer-

“I know, I can be rather strange at times I guess. She makes fun of me; you know, says I dont know what love is.” Adjusting the strap on my bag, I rolled over onto my stomach. The earth on top of him is warmed by the sun and it sends tingles through my fingers. I run my fingers through the dirt and let it roll over my hand. Moments pass in silence as the breeze comes in from the south.

”Darren, do you love me?”

-no answer-

“I know, I know…that was a stupid question wasn’t it? Your perfect, did you know that? I dont know why she cant see how powerful your love is? But I do. I will be here when you come, I promise.”

A rumble echoes through the surrounding forest and ripples across the cemetary. Birds and insects all hush in anticipation of what was to come next. But only silence follows.

“What?!…What did you say?” I rise upon my elbows and look over at his mound of earth. “I didnt hear you…what did you say?”

-no answer-

“But why? Why do you want her here? I thought…” My face contorts in anger and I feel the betrayal dig deeper into my soul. “Must you do it here?”

-no answer-

“Fine…whatever you want my love.” Rising to my feet, I brush the grass clippings from my jeans and pull my hair behind my neck. I re-adjust my bag and look around with squinted eyes. The sun was baring down hard upon the cemetary stones and I start to sweat. “Should I go now?”

-no answer-

“Ok…wait a minute.” Thrusting my hand back into my bag, I retrieve the treasure. “Here…I should have given it to you earlier. so you really like this one huh?”

-no answer-

” I love you.” Placing the folded yellow paper under a rock: I pat the ground. Before rising once more, I kiss Darren’s hot tombstone and run my fingers across the top. “I will be here at sun down…with…her. Good day my sweet…I-man.”

Standing once more, I turn to go. My mind wars between love and hate but I was not breaking my promise. I was indebted to him. There was nothing coming between us. I would do anything for him. I would return and he would have what he wanted.

“Lei Anna”

At the sound of his voice; I turn around on the pads of my feet, hair flinging wildly outward. As I stare back at his resting place, I am astonished. I began to giggle covering my mouth.

“Wow!”

Hundreds…no thousands of bees ascend from the mound of earth above where he lay. they swarm only feet above the ground. After moments of swirling and buzzing, they disappear into the air. I cannot see them leave…they just disapate like mist. A tingle starts from my feet and spread thoroughout my whole body. As I run back to his grave, I am stunned. The poem is gone.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment