Sunday, February 17, 2013

A dream I once had....Part 1

Of course,I didn't really like Casper, but father said he saved us. I had this little song that played in my head when he spoke to groups as he did now and so he thought I listened because I smiled the whole time. He was our ruler, leader or whatever you might call him. After father was killed, Casper became the leader of our little group. Yes, he had the authority around here. But he was dreadful when it came to humanity. I mean he had no leadership skills at all but yet he threw his weight around when punishment was due, over exaggerating some little midemeanor when more important things should be done. And Casper saw women as being on a lower level than the males. He saw us as the human men saw us. Father was not like that.
"Betty! May I have you attention please,dear?" Casper hissed at me and spoke in a hushed tone to gather respect.
I straightened up and swallowed that large lump which suddenly formed in my throat. I bit my lips and suppressed the smile that was about to erupt. "Yes sir."
Casper tilted his head and his shoulder length brown hair brushed his collar making a sound most couldn't hear. But I heard it and it was loud. I cringed from the dry rasping it made. "I expect all of you," he waved his hand across the air, "I expect you to understand the consequences of your actions among the living." casper dropped his head and cracked his knuckles.
My hand shot up before I could think twice about 'my actions'..hehe. "Uh..Mr. Delvin, can I ask you a question?" I had a curious rebellious nature that came out at the most unopportune times.
He rolled his eyes and frowned. "Of course, Betty, you can always ask a question, any question of me...as you always seem to do. God knows how you come up with that drivel."
I drop my hand and gulp knowing he will get very angry any minute now when I ask my question. I have asked him for this for decades since father died and yet his promises are empty. I long for this and he knows I do, but he plays with me...and sometimes that is why i hate him. "Casper, can I have it now?"
At the words that were way too familiar to his undead ears; Casper grimaced and ground his teeth. His fists clenched ever so much more tightly as his dry brown hair rasped against his collar once more. I could hear him hate me. I could hear him contemplate on how he would dispose of me. My heart began to pound against my dry rib bones. I knew it was just not the time for this. But I wanted it damnit. I had suffered enough for 200 years and I deserved to have it. He promised...oh god, he promised and...
He opened his fists and looked back up at me. His pupils were dilated and a single line on red ran down his lips onto his chin. His fang retreated back into his gums and he smiled. "You know....Betty, I think I can actually arange that in the next couple of weeks. I have a situation brewing in the sister village."
Amazement gripped me as I made eye contact with Casper. "Really?"
"Yes my dear, really." Casper smiled and exhaled. "Now, do you think you can pay attention to me for a moment?"
My hope rose up and was swollen in my chest. I felt so much hope. I still couldn't listen to his rubbish. I was going to finally get her. A child of my own and better yet a little girl. Oh, the possibilities, oh..I was going to be a mother again. After all these decades of lonliness and dispair...I would finally have a little girl.
As Casper talked, all I could hear were the little squeals and screams of my little girl and I plunged my fangs into her neck...giving her to me ...forever.
I sighed and pretended to listen to my makers babble.
I know father wouldn't approve of my wishes but I wanted a family...even now as my dry bones ached..i wanted a family more than anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment