Sunday, February 17, 2013

A dream I once had...part 3

She kicked and screamed as I drug her back into Casper's room. i slammed the door locking it. At the feel of a little bite in the crook of my arm; I turned toward the child. Her little teeth worked on my hard white skin trying desperately to break the flesh. Her determination made me smile momentarily. I pried her from me and held her out by her collar. She kicked violently and screamed for the 'mommy'.
My heart sank as I watched her fighting. A sick feeling spread through my stomach and so I sat her down and turned away. Oh, how Vampires wanted tears. Of all the things that were lost, the tears are what are missed the most. without the ability to cry, the loss of humanity was so much more real. I heaved a sigh and turned back toward the little girl. But, as I thought, she was gone again. Hiding it seemed.
"Hey, I won't hurt you...of course you have no reason to believe me. But I won't hurt you." My lies stung me...yes tore at me as I walked around the bedroom. I smelled her. All of a sudden her presence became known behind Casper's coffin. Her sniffles were so loud that I grimaced in irritation. "Please...stop that. It hurts my ears." I asked nicely of the little angel I was to kill tonight.
She whimpered in the corner and i could see chocolate brown tresses shaking above Casper's tacky sleeping box. I sighed. This was going to be a long process because i was not the type to grasp and attack. She was to be my daughter; she was not my prey. I could not show her violence as Casper would. I wanted to show her tenderness. So how in hell was I going to bite her?
"What is your name sweetheart?" I asked as I neared the shaking bundle of childhood flesh. "You can talk to me. Listen, I didn't ask him to do those things to your family. I only wanted a daughter." I felt the need to explain myself fore she hated me. This peirced my dead heart.
I stopped by the end of Casper's coffin and sat down on the top. I sat for a long time allowing the girls sobbing to tire down. She looked up from her crossed arms and eyed me hatefully. I smiled back, careful not to show my fangs. She looked confused as she surveyed the monster lady which sat before her. I chuckled at what she must have been thinking at the moment.
"My name is Betty. What is your name?" I tilted my head and offered my openess to her. I waited and waited but no reply. My heart sank but of course I didn't expect too much from a girl whose parents had been slaughtered by my leader. She should hate us. She should hate me.
"Patricia...Patricia ma'am." The little angel spoke shocking me from my reverie and back into Casper's room at the present. I felt a jolt of excitement pass through my inhuman body. I could hear it too and it irritated the holy shit out of me. I jumped yet held my composure.
"Oh precious...that is a lovely name," I paused before continuing and offered her a merciful look. "Can I tell you a story?"
She furrowed her brow and exhaled. "yes...I am scared...p...p..please tell me a story."
I smiled and scooted closer. "okay sweetie, I shall tell you my story. I shall tell you a story that I haven't told in a very long time. But, I feel that I owe you this because of what you have been through. I see how uncomfortable you are and I shall put myself where you are. I do not wish for you to have pain...so I will share pain with you. Do you understand?"
"Yes ma'am."
"Okay sweetie." I spoke and inhaled a long and tired breath.
"I had a family once, yes i did. My husband was a hunter and I was a mother of two beautiful boys...twins. I cooked for them, took care of them and occasionally, we took nature walks and i would teach them things about the forest. Their father would meet us in a clearing. It was our favorite spot to meet and have a nice lunch together. Yes, I remember." I took a deep breath and continued.
"One day, a rather dark day indeed... FRanklin, that was my husband's name, he didn't show up at our meeting place as he was supposed to and of course we waited for him. We waited a very long time for him." I stared off into the distance then tentatively continued. "It was getting dark when we decided to give up and go home. I told the boys, who were 5, that maybe their father had killed something that was keeping him away so long and that there was probably a good reason. As I spoke to them, my dear...I didn't believe it. I hid my worry as I began that long trek home. But something happened. The boys heard it before I did. They pulled at my dress and shouted for me to look at papa."
I dropped my head but tears never fell...they couldn't. I could feel the little girl's eyes on me as I tried to gather composure again. I sobbed dry sobs that meant nothing at all. Then, as I hefted my shoulders back and lifted my head; I continued.
"He was different from a distance. I thought he was sick. I thought he had caught a virus or something being out in the woods all the time. I didn't know what had happened to him. As he staggered toward me, I saw two other men come from behind him and move closer to me and the boys." I stopped.
Patricia, the little human angel raised up and sat upon the coffin lid. Her big blue eyes questioned me. "Maam...what happened?" she asked truly curious about my story.
I did not lie to her then and there. I could not. "I do not know what happened exactly. I just remember waking up in a damp room...very very hungry. In the corner I saw my husband, Franklin waking as I was from some groggy dream it seemed. He looked so pale and something was different about him...something I know now...but..."
"Yes, go on." She coaxed with a new found courage that surprised me. I suddenly gained an admiration for the little girl as she sat in awe before me. So I went on.
"It was me and my husband staring at each other. I could read his thoughts...they were horrible, greusome, carnal and violent. I know now that my own thoughts must have been the same. At first I was very confused at our situation and our confinement as it seemed we were confined to that room. But, softly it started and grew louder. As I starred at Franklin on all fours as I was...I realized what the sound was. The whimpers came from the dark corner to our right. whimpers growing louder, invading our minds. As the whimpers grew louder, it triggered our hunger. I heard his stomach growl as did mine. I was so horrified. I remember babbling and mumbling as the whimpers grew louder. I remember turning toward the sound with Franklin. Moving together toward whatever it was that called to us."
I stopped once more and starred at Patricia, my soon to be victumized daughter and sighed. "I cant...I cant do this." I dropped my head and brought my hands to my face.
I felt her warm hands upon my arms as I dry sobbed into my hands. Her blood enthralled me, tempted me and drove me mad in one instance. I was only held at bay by my sorrow. Her courage impressed me so and in ways comforted me.
"Miss Betty, what happened?" she asked innocently.
I swallowed hard and looked back up at the little girl. She drew back horrified and shook but she never left the coffin top.
"Ok...I owe this to you. My sorrow is yours." I exhaled once more and then began again.
In the corner was our twins, David and Darrell. They...they ...damnit...they had been stripped naked and they were crying.
I stopped and shook my head looking toward patricia. I saw the fear in her eyes as my eyes dilated quickly in memory.
"What happened in those next moments were beyond anything your little mind could understand, Patricia. Are you sure you want to know what I really am?"
"Yes, maam." she looked so brave in her little dress all stained and torn. I adored her already.
We were made to slaughter our own children while one of the elders watched on. We are vampires, unless you haven't figured out by now.
This did not shock her seeing as though she had witnessed the destruction of her village and death of her whole family. A lone tear trailed down her cheek and she smiled sadly. Without warning, she shot forward and wrapped her little arms around me. I was so surprised that I hissed in response.
Her body wracked in sobs as she cried her little heart out. She had no fear of me now and it felt strange.
I lay my hand on her beautiful brown hair and tried to force the memories away again.

No comments:

Post a Comment