Sunday, February 17, 2013

A dream I once had...part 4

when she stopped crying, she spoke to me. she told me about her times with her brothers, times she chased butterflies and hid when her mother would call her. She felt like a part of me that I had lost long ago when I lost my boys. My hunger was all but gone as I watched her animated face tell story after story as dawn fast approached. I was enthralled by her humanity and I could not harm her. I didn't realise what this meant...but I couldn't harm her at all. Her heart was pure and something that spewed from her lips reminded me of summers long ago when I would run through the forests in search of my own meaning. Yes, I was a deep girl as this. I smiled as her eyes grew wide in amazement. Then she asked that question that I did not want to answer.
"Maam, what are you going to do to me?" She looked up at me and fear was there, fear of what she knew already.
I shook off the haze from the memories her stories produced in me. I starred forward for a moment and spoke. "What do you mean?"
She looked at me with the most innocent eyes and noone could consider hurting a child as this. No human that is.
"Do you wish to know the truth? Well, I guess, of course you do." I just looked at her a moment and i guess I appeared human to her because she smiled a genuine smile at me.
"I do...I want to know what you are supposed to do to me. Will you kill me, Maam?" She was so calm with her question and it floored me.
I wanted to run away from her. I did not want to explain to her what I had in mind before she entered this room. She would not understand the fact that I wanted her to replace my dead sons. NO, it is not pleasurable to a child to know they shall be turned into the eternally damned before sunrise. To live a life as a child was not a choice life for anyone. Maybe it didnt have to be this way. Maybe I could wait till she was older to do it. Maybe 18 or 20...yes, that made more...
"Maam,you are supposed to change me , arent you?" She spoke so softly and calmly  that none would suspect she was afraid at all. But in my heart of stone, I knew she was scared. Her little heart hammered against her rib cage and filled my ears with a deafening sound.
I looked at her and I could not lie. NO, I would not lie..not this time and not ever again. "Yes patricia, I am supposed to turn you into a Vampire as I am." I spoke those words in a daze. I spoke as if my life depended that I tell the truth. I spoke these truths to her because I respected her so and she was brave. I owed her the truth....oh how I owed her something.
She looked down at her hands and frowned. "But I am scared Miss Betty. I don't know how to be a vampire." Her statement caught me off guard and I caught myself chuckling before I could contain it. I shifted on the coffin top and flung my red hair over my shoulder then titled my head in curiosity.
"I am not so sure as to what will happen. As for this dawning day; I must take cover. Casper is on his way and we must make an excuse for why you haven't been biten my dear." I stood and reached out with my hand. She looked up at me and took  hold of my hand. The touch startled her but caused a curious look to pass over her face. she looked at my hand as if it were a strang lizard she had found crawling in the backyard. I found it amuzing.
Before we could leave the chamber; Casper came galavanting through the door whipping his cape from his shoulders. He stopped abruptly as he made eye contact with Patricia.
"What!? you have not changed her yet?" He hissed in anger then switched his gaze to me. His eyes bore into mine with a degrading dominance only Casper could muster. I was unsure of the circumstances but I stood tall in his presence.
"I ...will take care of it, casper." My voice wavered in fear.
He turned once more to me as he hung up his cape. His eyes told the truth of his merciless heart. "See to it that  you do, Betty...or I will take care of her."
I gripped Patricia's hand and pulled her from the room. Down the hall and to the left I found my own quarters, my own coffin and my own space. As dawn quickly approached; I climbed into my coffin pulling the little brown haired child in on top of me. she sighed and feel asleep on my chest as my heart beat wildly in fear of Casper's threat. I held her close...refusing to lose another child.

No comments:

Post a Comment