Monday, August 19, 2013

Death's hidden song

I heard it in the distance, or actually, she heard it and she hummed it into my ear. It was a jolly sad thing, sorta. You know how hard it is to tell someone what a song sounds like by typing
the desription....yeah, like that.
It lilted up then hit three high notes then dropped jsut slightly, rising again. I think it was sort of reminescent of an old spiritual song.
And then the clouds of my mind parted and I saw her there. She stood at the sink washing the breakfast dishes. She sang that tune just loud enough for me and my imaginary friend to hear her.
I turned to my friend who really wasn't there and I giggled.
That is when I realized that he was death.
Was it in the woods, at the edge of the yard, that I first saw him? No, I remember now that he was the one who hummed my mother's tune to me before the clouds departed. He was the one who
told me not to look and then I passed out. All I know is that my head hurt when I woke up on the floor.
I remember the day in my grandmother's room, the day that I pushed the rewind button to hear what I had recorded on daddy's old tape recorder. It was the one that me and Cami placed in that
room to record the ghosts. That was the first time that I heard death speak to me. My ears didn't hear his voice but my soul did. It was a tune, a deep and dark roaring song that told me that
I was just a meat train. I didn't understand him then but I do now. Death thinks our flesh is ridiculous. I think that is around the time that I started to wish I was a robot. I hated my
flesh.
I wondered how hard it would be to cut it all off and become as pristine as Death. Death spoke on that one too. He said, good luck with that.
I sat in my little white jacket and hugged myself. Death had been gone for so long and all I could do was think about the past. The guests were growing impatient in the dining room next door.
I looked down and saw that I was no longer wearing the white hug jacket from before. I looked around myself and saw the forest...it was dark. I was wearing my pink funeral attire and out of
the corner of my eye, I could see the curl in my hair. In fact, as I stepped over roots and vines, I saw my auburn curls bounce happily. I was pretty, I was dressed up in nice things and I
smelled nice too. This made me instantly giggle because my happiness is so fleeting that when i catch it, it bursts within my hands. I giggle again and begin to run, jumping over the roots of
the forest floor. Then I twirl and dance maddly, the tune returns to me and I push the air through my lips. It lilts up and then three high notes hit..one , two, three...then it drops. I play
at the song for what seems like hours until I reach the outter limits of the forest. I am alone....i am so alone. I think of Death and I want him here with me but I quickly shake the thought
from my mind. My hands are covered in soot and all of a sudden, I am in my jacket again....i am screaming
My spot is at the head of the table. To my right is Anna and she is very unhappy with me. I can tell because the freckles on her nose look darker. Don't ask me why this is so, but its just
something about her that I will never forget. Her sadness and anger makes her spots seem darker. I giggle at the thought and reach over to touch her tiny hand.
To my left is Spirit who sits with her arms crossed. Her wings are crimson red and the fairy dust around her is very irritated, flying around making Anna sneeze.
I see the others, the tools of my desencion, they sit in a tight group at the end of the long table. Their wine is red just like their lips and their eyes. They are not vampires, they are not
the dead. They just are. Closer to Anna and Spirit are the faceless ones who serve no real purpose other than to take notes on the whole ordeal.
"But will they eat with us?" One of the demons at the far end of the table questions out of curiosity. I see her red eyes dart to the faceless things sitting along the length of the table.
The larger male looks up from his wine and smiles. His little centered black mustach twitches right before he reaches up to wipe the red wine from his upper lip. The other red eyed demon
starts to laugh making her straight blonde hair shiver against her pale long face. She squeals in delight. "They are freaks! Why should they feast with us?"
The man with the mustache stands and straightens his suit jacket. As he raises his face to me, I recognize the Furer. He is pale and sick but he does not show his weakness. He stands strong
and turns his face to my left.
Spirit stands and tilts her head. "Meine Furer, Meine leibe..."
A song is upon my ear now...a sad song that mother used to sing. I turn and see his skull pressed against my face and for the first time since childhood, he sings...and it was not the song that mother used to sing...it was the song that he used to sing to mother...the train came and it ate her too....

ich bin hier, werde nie verlassen
nicht weinen noch trauern
einen Bissen und dein Schicksal besiegeln
zerstören, was sie schaffen
schlugen sie auf ihre Spiele, meine Liebe
vor seinem viel zu spät
so singt der Wolf, die Knochen der Dunkelheit ...
so singt der faulen faulen Herzen
so singt die Dämonen an Ihrer Tür
jede Nacht, wie es vor
Ich werde zu dir kommen
bis Sie folgen durch
bis du nicht mehr atmen
Ich werde an Ihrer Tür sein
kommen .... diesen Ort verlassen

Anna stood over me in my room. Her dress was dirty and her face was pale.
"shhh, it will be okay. It's almost over."

No comments:

Post a Comment